Building a team that can adapt and succeed in an ever-changing environment ensures your organization’s longevity. Team Sailing is a great analogy for this practice—testing the winds, using its power when you can, tacking when you can’t, and getting the whole team back to harbor.
You will have the opportunity to practice different areas of responsibility: at the helm, manning a winch or handling a line. Then coach your peers on your newly-acquired skills, share risk-taking (and mistake-handling) and increase trust.
Coastguard Certified Captains acquaint your group with the 24- to 36-foot sailboats, covering tacking and jibing, sail handling and steering. Depending on the body of water and the weather conditions, you will either compete in a regatta or a time trial, using your new skills to outmaneuver the other boats to the finish line.
Once back on shore, your team will examine communication patterns, leadership styles, decision-making processes and overall team effectiveness.
- Affords the opportunity to understand the learning and teaching styles of your team mates.
- Delivers a once-in-a-lifetime experience for participants.
- Reveals much about how individuals handle uncertainty or risk.
- Allows teams to revel in the thrill of competition.
- Experientially defines the Stages of Team Development.