Will my type change if I retake the MBTI?
There are several reasons why Myers-Briggs Type Indicator results may differ:
- People may think their job expects certain behavior. A supervisor or a trainer can give an impression that there is a preferred way to be for that organization before the person takes the MBTI. This can adversely affect the outcome for the individual.
- An individual is looking for a particular kind of a job and answers the MBTI by choosing preferences that may match the desired job instead of answering in a way that reflects his or her true preferences.
- According to American culture standards, men are “supposed” to be impersonal and logical while women are “supposed” to be warm and nurturing. Men and women who, by nature, do not fit the stereotypes may nevertheless answer the MBTI in a way that is reflective of these stereotypes.
- Some people may grow up in family settings where the kind of person they were by nature was not acceptable. For example, children with a true preference for Introversion in a family where Extraversion is more common may find that their natural preference was not nurtured. Early admonishments to be more active and to socialize more may lead these individuals, as adults, to answer the MBTI as they think they should as Extraverts.
- People may be working on their own type development and may select items that reflect the direction of their new development.
- People may be experiencing a severe life crisis and may therefore feel confused and disoriented.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and MBTI are registered trademarks of Consulting Psychologists Press, Inc.
Why Face-to-Face meetings will never go out of style
Many of our customers are geographically dispersed and rely on Skype, conference calls and virtual meetings to stay connected. We have been told that our brand of training and team building may soon be replaced by headsets and videoconferencing—that companies can’t afford to bring their far-flung teams together to meet—that some consider spending time together to be a waste of time.
We believe the opposite and see the power of the f2f on a daily basis.
Memorable shared experience: An adventure, a fun outing or a good laugh all accelerate bonding and build community.